Research Institute of Turkology

After the establishment of the Republic of Turkey in 1923, the leader of the state M. Kemal Atatürk ordered Prof. Köprülüzade M. Fuad to establish an Institute of Turkology in Istanbul University and Türkiyat Enstitüsü (Research Institute of Turkology) was founded in 1924, which aimed to do high level of research and studies in Turkish and Turcic language, literature, history, arts, folklore, etc.

The Institute ecquired the library of the renowned Turkologist’s A. Katanov, which had more than 7000 volumes. It grew the passage of time, and today the library has more than 55.000 scholarly works in its collections. Among the book donations, there are Hüseyin Sadettin Arel’s Turkish music library (2005) and the private library’s of Prof. Dr. Hamit Ongunsu (1968), Halit Ziya Uşaklıgil (1971), Sultan Beg (1973), Prof. Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar (1974), Mehmet Behçet Yazar (1980), Prof. Dr. Muharrem Ergin (1995), Prof. Dr. Osman Nedim Tuna and Prof. Dr. Oktay Aslanapa (2000). There are also BA, MA and PhD dissertations produced under the advice of the Institute professors.

27/03/2017
76 hits

İstanbul Üniversitesi

Türkiyat Araştırmaları Enstitüsü, Horhor Caddesi, Kavalalı Sokak, 5/4, Fatih 34080

İstanbul-TÜRKİYE Tel: 0 212 532 84 01

E-mail: turkiyatmecmuasi1924@gmail.com